We are selling electronics kits for Raspberry Pi GPIO projects on a trial basis at our event on Saturday 18 April 2015 in Cheltenham.
A limited run of 10 kits will be available for £5 per kit. Maximum one kit per family and the kits will be offered to children first. If there are any kits left by 3:30pm (half an hour before the event ends) then the kits will go on sale to adults. If there is more adult demand than supply, then we’ll raffle them.
If this proves successful, then we will consider doing a larger run for our next event, and also selling the kits on eBay (plus postage costs).
The kit includes about £4 of components plus approximately £1 profit towards future Cotswold Raspberry Jam events and tutorials. We are publishing the list of components so you can create your own kit if you prefer.
You do not need to purchase a kit to take part in the LED Birthday Candle tutorial. All equipment for the tutorial will be provided separately, free. However the kit does include all the parts (and many more) for you to recreate the candle tutorial at home, plus the Screaming Jelly Baby tutorial. It is our goal that this kit will also cover the vast majority of components needed for the vast majority of our tutorials for the next year or so.
The components for each kit are as follows:
- Breadboard – mini 170 point (a reusable circuitboard that requires no soldering)
- Capacitor – electrolytic 1 microfarad (briefly holds an electric charge, useful as a very simple analogue-to-digital converter)
- Photoresistor – 4mm 2-20k ohm through-hole (detects light and dark)
- LED – 5mm diffused through-hole red (a red light bulb)
- LED – 5mm diffused through-hole yellow (a yellow light bulb)
- LED – 5mm diffused through-hole green (a green light bulb)
- LED – 5mm diffused through-hole blue (a blue light bulb)
- 4x Resistors – carbon film 270 ohm through-hole (to stop the LEDs burning out, amongst other uses)
- 2x Switches – 2 pin 6x6x4mm tactile push-button through-hole (press the button to trigger something on the Raspberry Pi)
- 4x Jumper wires – 20cm male-female Dupont headers (for plugging from the Raspberry Pi to the breadboard)
- 4x Jumper wires – 20cm female-female Dupont headers (for plugging from the Raspberry Pi directly to components)
- 4x Jumper wires – 6cm solid wire (for plugging across the breadboard)
- 4x Paperclips – small (can be bent into different shapes for all manner of uses, including the abuse of jelly babies)
- Card – A6 210gsm black (useful as a black-out for the photoresistor, also as insulating material)
View the full component spreadsheet including unit costs, Farnell part numbers and eBay item numbers. Note that we don’t guarantee that the prices we’ve found are the cheapest, but they should be pretty close. There is a trade-off between convenience, bulk ordering, delivery time and price. We might add Maplin product numbers at a later date for those who prefer the instant gratification of a bricks-and-mortar shop (or for those of you who’ve burned out an LED and need a replacement pronto!). We receive no commission from anyone (but if you run a components firm and would like to sponsor us or donate some equipment, please get in touch!).